I provide personal psychotherapy to family and partners of addicts for sex addiction, porn addiction, gambling, alcohol and substance abuse with a special interest in supporting partners and couples effected by sex & porn addiction.
Having a partner or family member with a problematic behavior or addiction can effect individuals and the family on many levels. The addiction essentially disrupts the healthy relationships process. Problems may be related to alcohol, drugs, substances, gambling, food, sex and pornography. Addictions effect every day life and cause problems in relationships which include intimacy issues, emotional disconnection, trauma, financial concerns, family breakdown and parental problems.
Partners and family typically seek out help and support long before their loved one goes into a recovery process or even admits to having a problem. Sex addiction and infidelity can have a deep impact on partners and couples relationships and requires a long term therapeutic healing process. Thankfully there are now supports available to help partners effected by a loved ones possible addiction. These supports may be personal therapy, online therapy, telephone counselling, couples recovery relationship counselling, group support such as The Rise Foundation and Twelve Step Groups.
Maintaining healthy relationships with a loved one who has an addiction or dependence with a substance or behaviour can be an exhausting and lonely experience. Many partners become isolated over time and emotional support is important. Counselling provides a safe supportive therapeutic space to help you cope better with these challenges, address your own needs and cope better with a family member or loved one living with addiction.
Appointments for partners and family members may include the following;
- Promoting self-care and well-being
- Stress management
- Understanding addiction
- Understanding the recovery process
- Coping & resilience skills
- Relaxation skills
- Building relationships and strong connections
- Thriving and personal goals
- Supporting someone through recovery
- Supporting the addicted partner towards recovery
- Supports and resources
To find out more about support services, addiction treatment centers and resources links click to the addiction & recovery page.
If you would like to book a first consultation appointment with Orlagh Gahan in Kildare click here to view and book appointments.
Remember there are many books and websites dedicated to addiction and recovery for everyone online.
Orlagh provides counselling and complementary therapy to partners and family members effected by addiction and problematic behaviours in Naas, Co. Kildare. She also provides private couples addiction counseling to support couples into a recovery process for mild to moderate addictions and substance misuse.
Supports available in Ireland for partners & family members
- One to one private counselling with a Psychotherapist who understands addiction. Visit www.iacp.ie or addictionscounsellors.ie or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment in Naas, Co. Kildare.
- The Family Support Network provides practical information and support to family members living with substance misuse. They facilitate support groups around the country which also include bereavement programmes.
- Al-Anon Meetings provide daily twelve step support meetings for family members around Ireland. These Anon meetings are also available for alcohol, gambling, substance and sex addictions.
- The Rutland Centre in Dublin 16 provide a Concerned Family Members workshops every 6 weeks.
- Aiseiri Rehabilitation Centre also hold a Family Programme once a year which is for partners and family members and it is a week long support programme.
- Private health care insurance such as VHI, Irish Life and Laya provide 6 EAP Counselling sessions depending on your policy type which you can use to access counselling. You will be assessed and referred to a suitable therapist who can provide short term support.
- ASCERT – Taking The Lid Off Booklet. A resource for families living with addiction and problematic substance misuse.
- Hope Cottage in Kill, Co. Kildare provides family support and information to family members. Visit www.fsn.ie for information.
- Al-Anon Ireland | Support for families of alcoholics | www.al-anon-ireland.org/
- Co-Dependents Anonymous Ireland | www.codaireland.com
- Gam-Anon UK & Ireland | www.gamanon.org.uk/
- S-Anon | Support for partners of Sexaholics | www.sanon.org/meetings/meetingsireland.html
Resources & Support Groups in Ireland
Aras Community Addiction Services, Newbridge Co. Kildare | www.arasproject.ie
Addiction Counsellors of Ireland | www.addictioncounsellors.ie
Alcohol Action Ireland | www.alcoholireland.ie
Alcohol Help | www.drinkhelp.ie
Alcoholics Anonymous | www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie
Cocaine Anonymous Ireland | www.caireland.info
Drink Aware | www.drinkaware.ie
Drug & Alcohol Information & Support | www.drugs.ie
Food Addicts Anonymous | www.foodaddictsanonymous.org
Gamble Aware | www.gambleaware.ie
Gamblers Anonymous Ireland | www.gamblersanonymous.ie
Gambling Information and Support for Gambling Problems | www.problemgambling.ie
Irish Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy | www.iacp.ie
LifeRing Support Groups – Sobriety from Alcohol & Substances | www.dublinlifering.com
Narcotics Anonymous | www.na-ireland.org
Overeaters Anonymous | www.overeatersanonymous.ie
The Addictive Behaviours Centre | www.addictivebehaviours.ie
Sex & Love Addicts Anonymous | www.slaaireland.org
Sexaholics Anonymous | SA Ireland | www.saireland.com