Stress is a natural part of life. These days, it can be difficult to find a quiet moment to help your body and mind switch off and relax. The problem is that if you are feeling wound up, then it takes time to wind down again. Feeling calmer and relaxed can take time and practice if you have a very busy lifestyle. Many people do not realise how tense they are actually feeling until they try to relax. These simple everyday ideas can help you to feel calmer more often so that you can cope better with stress and feel more focused.
1. Switch coffee and tea for relaxing herbal teas such as Chamomile tea and Bed Time tea.
2. Put a few drops of Lavender or Chamomile essential oils into an oil burner which promote relaxation.
3. Enjoy watching your favorite film.
4. Get engrossed in an inspiring or motivating book.
5. Leave the phone at home, go outside and take a walk somewhere quiet in nature.
6. Have a relaxing massage or reflexology treatment.
7. Lie down in a quite space and listen to relaxation music or a meditation for 30 minutes.
8. Take some quiet time to yourself. Go buy a coffee, walk around a museum, park or a book store and give yourself space to think clearly or not think at all.
9. Practice breathing deeply and have a good stretch in the fresh air or relaxing on your bed.
10. Have fun and laugh often – do things that make you feel good about yourself.
11. Take a cleansing refreshing swim or walk by the sea.
12. Keep a journal and write down your thoughts and feelings at the end of the day.
Find out what works for you, everybody is different. Remember, practice makes perfect.
Orlagh Gahan is a Complementary Health Therapist and Psychotherapist based in Co. Kildare, Ireland. She provides a range of therapies for physical, mental and emotional health. To find out more visit www.orlaghgahan.ie