People engage in therapy for a wide variety of reasons and each individuals experience of therapy is unique. The therapeutic relationship that is developed gently over time with your therapist is a vital part of the process, as you become more comfortable sharing and communicating your thoughts, fears & feelings. Making a commitment to this process and preparing for your sessions is the key to getting the most out of therapy. Here are some more suggestions;
- Be prepared to talk about yourself.
- Identify your main reasons for attending therapy.
- Think about what you would like to get out of each session.
- Take time to reflect on your previous session.
- Be open to exploring and finding new ways of thinking or dealing with your situation.
- Become aware of your thoughts and feelings between each session.
- Identify anything that you feel reluctant to tell your therapist and try not to withhold information.
- Be as open and honest as possible.
- Make time around each session so that you are not rushing in or out of your appointment.
- Complete any homework that was agreed and take some time to prepare for each session.
Making a commitment to the therapeutic process and preparing for sessions is the key to getting the most out of therapy.